Does your loved one lean more toward healthy fare? We think one of the best presents you can give your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day is the gift of heart health. Many sweet and delicious treats also promote cardiovascular health. Here are our top five favorites:
1) Almonds: This nutty treat is spectacularly healthy! Of the 14 total grams of fat in a serving of almonds, 64 percent is monounsaturated. This monounsaturated fat has been shown to lower cholesterol, according to an American Heart Association study. Sounds like a fabulous deal to us!
2) Walnuts: Walnuts are naturally cholesterol-free, and regular consumption of these nutritional powerhouses can lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol, as well as your total blood cholesterol. The phytochemicals and antioxidants found in walnuts protect cells from free radical damage that could result from heart disease.
3) Dates: Dates for your date? Great idea! Dates are packed with potassium, a mineral that your body uses to maintain muscle contractions, including those that keep your heart beating strong. They’re also a fantastic source of fiber, which can help lower blood cholesterol. Plus, they’re virtually cholesterol-, fat- and sodium-free! Dates sure are great!
4) Raisins: Think raisins are just for kids? No way! Raisins are loaded with vitamins and minerals that are great for snackers of all ages! New research has shown that you can lower your cholesterol naturally by including raisins in a Mediterranean-style diet.
5) Heart Healthy Mix: This special trail mix was designed with your heart in mind! We put together some of the best ingredients known to help control cholesterol in this delicious Heart Healthy Mix. Try it today for a tasty, healthy treat!
What are some of your favorite smart snacks for a healthy heart?