12 Savvy Snack Swaps for a Healthier You
Our Registered Dietitian hand-picked these savvy snack swaps to satisfy your cravings for something spicy, crunchy, sweet and flavorful. Many traditional snack foods are overly processed and loaded with empty calories. When it comes to eating healthy, it’s all about balance. Snacks can help satisfy hunger between meals, keep energy levels up, and meet nutrient needs.
There are two keys to healthy snacking:
- Focus on snacks that are nutrient-rich choices that include: whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and beans.
- Keep portion size of snacks in check and if you have a double portion, of course, the nutrition facts of the food double.
Check out these healthy swaps to supercharge your snack routine!
Looking for Spice?
Swap out traditional spicy snack foods like jalapeno chips or flamin’ hot snacks (e.g. Flamin’ Hot Cheetos) which are loaded with oil and void of fiber and protein with these snack options. They will fill you up while delivering nutrients to satisfy your craving.
1) Wasabi Peas – The main ingredient in this healthier snack swap is peas and they’re paired with wasabi seasoning. Each serving has only 120 calories while providing 4 grams of fiber, only 3 grams of fat, and 6 grams of protein.
2) Habanero Pistachios – One of the best parts of pistachios is that each serving is 49 nuts! These seasoned pistachios deliver 3 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and healthier fats, which can help to keep you full.
3) Spicy Fava Beans – A mix of chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder adds plenty of spice to this spicy and crunchy snack! Best of all, since the main ingredient is broad beans, each serving has 4 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.
Looking for Crunch?
When you feel like a crunchy snack, try one of these swaps for a more nutrient-rich, healthier snack option. Traditional crunchy snacks like potato chips are loaded with oil and have 10 grams of fat per serving with minimal amounts of fiber and protein. Swap out traditional crunchy snacks for:
4) Half Popped Popcorn – This irresistible crunchy snack packs more crunch than regular popcorn, and more fiber, too! Made from non-GMO whole grain corn, it provides 4 grams of dietary fiber per serving to support digestive health.
5) Roasted Salted Fava Beans – The main ingredient in this snack is broad beans and each serving has 7 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein. If you are cutting back on sodium, try our unsalted fava beans.
6) Veggie Chips – These are a crunchy, healthier alternative to traditional chips because they include a mix of sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, green beans, and taro. Each ounce has 126 calories, 6 grams of fat, plus 3 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. Try dipping these with your favorite hummus!
Got a Sweet Tooth?
If you have a sweet tooth, stocking up on some of our healthier, sweeter snacks will help keep you satisfied without feeling deprived. Look for naturally sweet, vitamin-rich snacks that also incorporate fiber to help balance blood sugar levels.
7) Dried Strawberries – Our dried strawberries are a chewy and antioxidant-rich alternative to gummy candy that will quiet a sweet tooth. Each serving provides 3 grams of dietary fiber to boot!
8) Dark Chocolate Covered Blueberries – Looking for a treat that packs double antioxidant power? Look no further than these chewy dried blueberries, smothered in rich dark chocolate. It contains 52% cocoa for antioxidants and magnesium galore.
9) Dried Pears – Satisfy your sweet tooth with dried pears, which provide 6 grams of fiber per serving and do not contain any added sugar. Plus some of the fiber is soluble fiber, which is linked to helping balance blood sugar levels. Try dicing these up into mini bite-size pieces!
Looking for Flavor?
We all have our favorite snack flavors, like BBQ, ranch, or something else. The great thing about these savvy snack options is that you don’t have to go overboard to enjoy them. Try one of these healthy picks instead:
10) Vegan “Cheese” Dill Kale Crackers – Swap traditional cheese crackers for our vegan “cheese” dill kale crackers. Each serving has 4 grams of fiber plus delivers vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
11) BBQ Cashews – No need to fire up the BBQ for unforgettable flavor. Simply grab a handful of these BBQ cashews for protein, fiber, healthy fats, minerals, and irresistible taste. They make a great party snack if you’re willing to share!
12) Ranch Peanuts – Each serving of ranch peanuts has only 7 grams of carbohydrates, plus it delivers 3 grams of fiber. These peanuts are a healthier alternative to traditional ranch-flavored snacks.
What are your favorite healthy snack swaps?
2 Responses to “12 Savvy Snack Swaps for a Healthier You”
I have been ordering your wonderful products for several years. The quality is excellent, the speedy delivery is wonderful, and your humor is a delight and always gives me a chuckle.
Thanks for being our customer, Alexa! We love making our customers smile 🙂