We’re often tempted by empty calorie foods throughout the day, but they usually aren’t satisfying and often do more damage than good. These nourishing superfoods are great alternatives because they taste delicious and can help us meet our daily nutrient intake.
1) Freeze-Dried Blueberries – These sweet and crunchy superfoods are loaded with antioxidants that may ward off age-related memory loss. Studies also indicate that blueberries are heart-healthy fruits that may reduce the risk of heart disease.
2) Goji Berries – Tangy and sweet, these red super-berries are often referred to as the world’s most powerful anti-aging food. They contain all of the essential amino acids, and have even more vitamin C than oranges. Snack on dried goji berries in trail mix, or add them to cereal or yogurt.
3) Dried Pomegranates – These delicious infused super fruits are loaded with heart-protective antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Dried pomegranates are also an excellent source of dietary fiber to support the digestive system. Enjoy these tart, sweet pomegranate arils right out of the bag.
4) Almonds – Over 60 percent of the fat found in almonds is heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. This “good” fat may help lower LDL cholesterol levels. Almonds are also rich in protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and antioxidants for a satisfying snack that is extremely nutritious. Almonds are easy to munch on and bring anywhere.
5) Walnuts – These nuts are an excellent plant source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which help control excessive inflammation in the body. Studies show that adding raw walnuts to your diet can reduce the risk of heart disease. Enjoy walnuts as a snack or toss them over salads and soups for a delicious nutty crunch.
6) Sacha Inchi Peanuts – This superfood is a complete protein that contains all of the essential amino acids. Just a small serving of these Inca peanuts provides 9 full grams of protein. Although technically a seed, they have a flavor that is similar to a dark roasted peanut.
7) Vegan “Cheese” Kale Chips – These crunchy gluten-free, raw kale chips are an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K to boost the immune system. They are also rich in minerals such as calcium and iron. Air-dried and never baked, our kale chips are a completely raw and healthy snack with a great cheesy flavor.
8) Organic Chia Energy Squares – Chia seeds are known to help with weight loss, diabetes, and high blood pressure, and now you can enjoy these super seeds in a portable snack. Organic chia energy squares are bite-sized and packed with wholesome nuts, seeds and dried fruit. These energy bites are a kid-friendly treat.
9) Organic Red Quinoa Puffs – This delicious puffed cereal is made only from organic red quinoa and boasts all of the same nutritional benefits. It is a complete protein loaded with iron, fiber, and antioxidants. Toss these red quinoa puffs with milk for a healthy breakfast, or snack on them throughout the day.
What superfoods do you eat on a regular basis?