Almond flour, also called almond meal, is a low-carb, gluten-free baking alternative to standard wheat flour. Nearly everything you can bake with wheat flour, you can bake with almond flour. It has a flavorfully nutty taste that works well in both sweet and savory items.
Because almond flour is made of finely ground almonds and nothing more, you’ll find the same health benefits in the flour as in the almonds. Almond flour is high in protein and low in carbohydrates and sugar, which makes it appealing for customers on low-carb diets. Almonds have been associated with lower cholesterol and reduced risk of heart disease because of their monounsaturated fat and high levels of vitamin E. In addition, almond flour contains high amounts of calcium, iron, and dietary fiber, nutrients that people with gluten-free diets sometimes lack, as well as many other minerals.
Here are five of our favorite recipes that use almond flour:
- French Macarons: These meringue sandwich cookies are gaining popularity in the U.S. Add your favorite filling!
- Multi-“Grain” Crackers: This protein-packed cracker is gluten-free.
- Almond Crusted Salmon: Lime, basil, and vidalia onion make this dish extra flavorful.
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies: Amazingly, these treats are gluten-free and low in sugar!
- Cinnamon Rolls: Walnuts and currants give these rolls a satisfying texture.