Tomorrow is Food Revolution Day, announced by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver. In this article, Oliver gives some fantastic tips on how to feed yourself and your family delicious, nutritious foods. Though we have been known to occasionally enjoy a not-too-healthy treat, we love his emphasis on eating mostly whole foods, as well as involving the whole family in menu planning and cooking. Eating healthy can be a fun AND tasty adventure!
Here’s a list of some of our favorite healthy foods and snacks from Nuts.com. If you haven’t tried them, give ’em a whirl! Who knows? You might just find a new favorite treat, just in time for Food Revolution Day!
1) Pumpkin Seeds: High in protein, phosphorus and iron, pumpkin seeds are an especially tasty treat. Try mixing them into trail mix, sprinkling them on salads or using them in place of pine nuts in pesto sauce.
2) Walnuts: We are just nuts for walnuts! An excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, eating walnuts is a great way to increase your dietary fiber and protein intake. Studies have shown that eating a handful of walnuts a day can lower blood cholesterol, and that walnuts are a natural source of phytochemicals and antioxidants that can protect cells from free-radical damage that could result in cancers or heart disease.
3) Almonds: Of course, almonds are one of our favorite snacks! We munch them by the handful when we’re on the go or at work for a quick, filling treat. Almonds are high in protein, calcium and zinc, and tests have shown that eating almonds can lower your risk of heart problems. We highly recommend incorporating raw almonds, almond flour or organic almonds into your diet!
4) Chia Seeds: We love the incredible dietary benefits that chia seeds can bring to your life. These powerful little seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, and they have been shown to aid with weight loss, hydration, blood pressure reduction and blood sugar control. Try stirring a tablespoon or two of chia seeds into a glass of juice, water or lemonade for a great addition to your breakfast menu.
5) Goji Berries: We can’t say enough about amazing goji berries. This berry from the Himalayan Mountain region are thought to to enhance the immune system, improve your eyesight and protect the liver. Goji berries are also extraordinarily high in vitamin A.